I got a cookie press as one of my wedding gifts and since then I keep looking for excuses to use it. These spritz cookies are really delicious, at least in my opinion. I added just a hint of rum. You can increase or decrease the rum content to suit your tastes.
1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 2/3 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp rum (I like using golden rum)
Optional: food coloring
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg then stir in the vanilla and rum.
- Combine the flour and salt.
- Cover dough and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- If you decide to color your cookies, divide your batter into bowls and add a different color to each bowl and stir in gently.
- Press dough out onto ungreased cookie sheets. (I wipe out my cookie press each time I change colors to avoid a muddy looking batter)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer cookies to wire cooling racks and cool completely.
This recipe makes about 2 1/2 - 3 dozen cookies. If you store them in an airtight container they usually last about a week or so.
The last time I made them, I made green four-leaf clovers, pink flowers and plain sand dollars.
Try them and let me know how they turn out for you.