1 1/2 cups butter
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 large bananas)
2 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp brandy (optional)
4 tbsp golden rum
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup sour cream
For Rum Glaze
(The rum glaze is optional but it adds a lovely, sticky, tasty glaze to the cake, especially if you're going to eat it while it's warm.)
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare (grease and flour or coat with cooking spray) a 10 inch Bundt pan or two 8 inch round cake pans.
- Beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the mashed bananas, vanilla, brandy and rum.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt over the batter. Mix on low speed until no streaks of flour remain.
- Fold in the sour cream.
- Pour into cake pan(s), (The batter will be somewhat runny.)
- Bake for 40-50 minutes for round cakes or 60-80 minutes for a Bundt cake.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the rum glaze:
- Combine the butter, water and sugars in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the rum.
I know it seems like a lot of work but this is actually an easy, non-fussy cake that tastes quite delicious.