- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced (or 3 tsp ground ginger)
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rum
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cream sherry
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- about 2 tsp black pepper
- about 1 tsp white pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the onion, garlic and ginger and cook until tender.
- Reduce heat to low. Mix in ketchup, brown sugar, 1/2 cup of the rum, tomato paste, vinegar, cream sherry, chili powder, black and white pepper. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until well combined and heated through. Stir in the remaining rum.
This recipe makes about 3 cups. It's great on chicken, pork, ribs, etc. Try it and let me know how much you love it, because I know you will.