Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Caribbean-ish Barbecue Sauce

I call this barbecue sauce 'Caribbean-ish' because it's based on a Caribbean recipe (and the taste reminds me of home) but I make some alterations since I can't always get my Caribbean seasonings. Anyway, this barbecue sauce has been a huge hit with Mr Caramel and with anyone I make it for so I thought I'd share it. It's super easy to make and keeps well in the fridge for weeks.

Ingredients


  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup onion, finely minced
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
  • 3 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced (or 3 tsp ground ginger)
  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup rum
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tbsp vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp cream sherry 
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • about 2 tsp black pepper
  • about 1 tsp white pepper

Directions

  1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
  2. Stir in the onion, garlic and ginger and cook until tender.
  3. Reduce heat to low. Mix in ketchup, brown sugar, 1/2 cup of the rum, tomato paste, vinegar, cream sherry, chili powder, black and white pepper. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until well combined and heated through. Stir in the remaining rum.
This recipe makes about 3 cups. It's great on chicken, pork, ribs, etc. Try it and let me know how much you love it, because I know you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment